Current Status – early 2023
Cruised in California March-October 2022, and entered Mexico on October 19, 2022, landing in Ensenada. Enjoyed several months on Baja, and excited to be mainland-bound! Cruising happily, doing maintenance and projects in exotic locations, and bringing the bikes out at most ports.
Track Us Live
Ayala at a glance
- 1985 Fair Weather Mariner
- Designed by Robert Perry
- Built by Westsail in California, then finished by Ta Shing in Taiwan
- Cutter Rigged Sloop, with roller furled genoa
- LOA: 38′ 9″
- Beam: 11′ 10″
- Draft: 5′ 10″
- Fresh water capacity: 140 gallons
- Diesel tankage: 55 gallons
- 24 kW h of lithium battery storage
- 1070 W of solar
- 20 kW 48v inboard PMAC (permanent magnet alternating current) electric motor with regen capabilities
- 7.5 kW Generator
- True Induction Mini Duo cooktop
- Samsung convection oven
- Backup cooktop is Duxtop single burner
- Kayak is Advanced Elements AE1007 DS inflatable kayak, blue.
- Purchased 2017
- Drop-stitched floor
- Excellent craft, great tracking, easy set-up and tear-down
- We have a Kuvia KayakSailor 1.4 square meters with jib kit but have not brought it along at this time
- Achilles HB-335AX Aluminum RIB
- Purchased 2022
- ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 Electric outboard motor
- Currently storing upside-down on the fore deck with a cover when underway
Very nice project blogs. Wondering if your Nanni Marine engine went bad or you just decided to Re power with electric? I just purchased a 1986 Fairweather mariner 39 named Legacy. Might be interested in purchasing the Nanni Marine engine for parts. Please email me at email@example.com
Hi Robert, the engine was still working and I already sold it it to a local mechanic. I can look him up for you if you’re interested. I do still have lots of parts. Fuel/oil filters, zincs, extractor, exhaust components, etc that I’d be happy to sell for cheap. I’ll email you this week.
Very nice detail on your projects. Just wondering if your Nanni marine motor went bad or you just decided to repower with the electric motor. I just purchased 1986 Fairweather Mariner 39 named Legacy. If your Motor is the same as mine I might be interested in purchasing replacement parts off it. I can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org Looking forward to your repower adventure.
My wife and I own a 1988 Fair Weather Mariner in the Santa Cruz Harbor. I’m very interested in your project to replace the diesel with an electric motor. Curious to know if you’ve yet selected a vendor for the motor ? Also, I have found that steering this vessel in reverse is difficult. I saw one past listing that showed a bow thruster installed. Robert Perry once responded on my facebook post and suggested a different prop. Any thoughts ? Thank you for sharing your story. It’s great to find another fan of this design.
The repower is underway! It’s seriously delayed but should be done soon. Once we are in the water with the bills payed I’ll do a detailed review of everything from handling to installation process.